Monday, May 2, 2011

Finding whats wrong

Hello to everyone. I never have blogged before, but I do like to write so I thought I would give this a try.
I have been dealing with MS since 2003 and now I am trying a new kind of treatment. I thought it would be a great way to follow how I was doing by blogging.

I guess you would like to get on the same page as me, so I will give you my history first.

Late in 2002 I started feeling bad. I couldn't put a finger on what was wrong. I told the doctor that my head was telling me that something wasn't right. She ran a few tests and couldn't find anything, so she sent me to a Neurologist. I went with some old MRI reports and he said that they had suspected MS in 1999. I told him they said I had had a mini stroke and was treated accordingly. He started running tests and each one kept leading towards MS. I finally had a lumbar puncture to confirm the MS.

I began treatment with Rebif injections to slow the progression down in 2003. I developed some depression from having too much on my plate, so they let me go off the Rebif for a couple of months, but then I got pregnant with third child, which was not in the plan, but a welcome gift to the family.

Pregnancy went well and a year later a new neurologist put me on Copaxone. The MS progressed and the doctor wasn't doing anything about it. He said I could try Tysabri, but it could cause a fatal brain infection. I decided to find a new doctor and she was able to treat my symptoms, and put me on Betaseran, but the disease worsened. She was not aggressive enough to help me so she sent me to another doctor that would have access to trial studies and took more aggressive approaches without getting the scalpel out.

This Neurologist out of a MS clinic, explained the Tysabri and made it sound a little less deadly and that is what I am doing now. This done by IV once every 4 weeks. I will blog about the treatment as I go. I have just had my second IV, so not much to say yet.

Lessons I have learned so far, get copies of all your tests to make sure you are informed of the findings and if you start feeling your doctor isn't doing his job, look for new one and don't wait til it is too late. Look for follow up with me. I hope to help anyone who is going trough what I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment